Sunday, July 17, 2005

Little Blue Rags

When my former wife dropped my younger son off to live with me and his brother, she gave me a large, clear plastic drawstring bag of little blue rags, washcloth-sized, institutional. She now works at a hospital, swing shift; her rheumatoid arthritis is acting up again. I guess she gets these rags easily. She said, you know, they're good to have around for cleaning. It was no big deal. I took about half a dozen out and stacked them on a knee-high counter shelf under the phone. When I need one to dry something or take care of a spill I reach down and get one from the neat stack, knowing it's clean. I toss the dirty ones into a soda case flat under the sink. After they're washed they go back on the shelf. Once in a while a really messy accident happens here, and I go to the clear bag for extras. My sons think these things are disposable. They wipe something up and throw the cloth away. They take a few and put them in a drawer somewhere and forget about them. Things like these shouldn't bother me, but they do. I don't know why I am so involved in the cycle of these rags. I swear my former wife said she uses and reuses them. Recently, when I spoke to her on the phone, I swear she laughed: No, throw them away! Before I started to write this I was thinking that the most important consideration must be for the boys to have easy unchaging access to a clean rag in the kitchen; they must be assured of things like this, always in their place, soft and loyal. What makes it the most important consideration is the humor one can find in one's obsessions as they unfold, and replacements ever-returning.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

just a great little story, john. we all have those private tics and itches and things that must be done just so, and yet we label others compulsive lol. do you suppose we set ourselves apart because we have only the blue cloths and such and none of the more serious ones?

9:49 AM  
Blogger Tasha Klein said...

"always in their place, soft and loyal."

luv that!

can i borrow a cup of sugah? no one is home in BlogsVille.

:)

7:47 PM  
Blogger johnee said...

hiya, i think the little ones mask the more serious ones, as a very reasoned and self-reflecting voice masks hysteria. something deep within the works becomes unhinged, but we remain calm nonetheless. thanks, jim.

sugah's here, Tash, next to the evil coffepot with the strenth of a thousand beans ... open 24/7, call it my life ...

john

7:11 AM  
Blogger Tasha Klein said...

LMAO! thanks. :)

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well john what if the rags were purple? would you still be uneased to throw them away? or would you wipe your ass with them? Maybe you have a thing for blue? i prefer bounty (the quicker picker uper) than i can throw them away or wipe my ass with them! you should give them a shot!

9:00 PM  
Blogger johnee said...

exploring options? nah, i hate change. john

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

john, i think my tongue in cheek comment got stuck a little too far back in my cheek. what i meant to say was that the blue cloths are as "serious" as any, at least to those who observe us going through our little rituals. i've got my own blue cloths, and there are others out there just as colorful. how about, you've just changed the plastic liner in the garbage can and some fool insists on putting something in there to dirty it all up again lol.

6:06 AM  
Blogger Tasha Klein said...

.!.

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home